What did you like the least about the class?
It is hard to say what I like the least about this class though. If I have to say, I would say it was uncomfortable to stay in class for two hours continuously. Well, an hour and 45 minutes actually. Sometimes I needed to use the bathroom or fill my water bottle, but I did not want to leave because I did not want to miss any of the professor’s saying as well.
What did you like the most about the class?
The thing I like most about this class is the way professor Downing communicated with us in class. I was told about that before the class started but was still so impressed on the first day of class. I also appreciated the way he performed that teaching technique though. I could feel how passionate he was and how respected we were during the lectures. I hope all our professors would also perform this technique in other classes. Otherwise, I appreciated our TAs too. They were great at doing their jobs.
What's the most significant thing you learned?
The most significant thing I learned from this class was how to work on a real-world project including working with a big team whom I had never met before the project started. While working on the IDB project during this semester, I learned that any worst thing could happen at any time even though I had prepared for it or not. I also learned how to face and resolve problems either with my team or by myself despite being frustrated and complaining. By the way, I and my team were not the best group academically, but I was glad we were a good match.
How many hours a week did you spend coding/debugging/testing for this class?
Coding for backend did not take me so much time but debugging and testing was painful because it relied so much on the other ends as well as the database that we created. Otherwise, coding for exercise purpose took less than for the project though. I used to spend about 40 hours for coding/debugging/testing per week usually.
How many hours a week did you spend reading/studying for this class?
Usually, I spend about 3-5 hours each week for readings either from textbooks or reading documentation of needed tools for the project. And a couple of extra hours to study for the exams.
How many lines of code do you think you wrote?
Thousands of lines of code I would say. Most of them were in Python because I was working as a backend developer for our IDB project and more than half of in-class exercises were in Python as well.
What required tool did you not know and now find very useful?
I did not know most of the required tools before starting the IDB project though. While working as a backend developer, I had chances to learn about many service tools such as GitLab, Slack, Postman, Grammarly, etc. Moreover, other web developing tools, such as Flask, Flask-SQLAlchemy, and RESTful API, were also very useful.
What's the most useful Web dev tool that your group used that was not required?
Correspondingly to backend development, the most useful Web dev tool that I used was Flask-Marshmallow. Flask-Marshmallow is a lightweight, easy-to-learn, and easy-to-use tool for any API developer. It is an "Object serialization and deserialization, lightweight and fluffy", said Marshmallow team. The plus points of Flask-Marshmallow are that it provides a nice JSON output format and helps build a fully functional RESTful API with minimal of your work.
If you could change one thing about the course, what would it be?
As I mentioned at very first of this post for the reason, if I could change one thing about this class, I wish we would have had a five minutes break during the lectures though.


No comments:
Post a Comment